Sunday, October 30, 2011

Be A Light Giver

"Be A Light Giver" is something my mother has always said to me. And it is something that has been on my mind as I see others going through difficult, sad and extremely rough times.

I have had family and friends who have been affected by divorce. This is not something I myself can be 100 % understanding about, but I know that sometimes relationships cannot be healed. I know what it feels like to be emotionally and verbally abused. I know the pain that an ended relationship can bring. But divorce was not involved in my ending, as I was not married to the man who caused the abuse. So as I consider friends and family that are going through such heartbreak, sadness and anger, how and what can I do to help them? I want to lift the souls of the burdened and sad. I want to see them smile and feel the warmth and love that our Father in Heaven and our Savior have for them. Divorce is something that can never be easy, it is not a decision these people have made lightly, it has taken much thought anguish and prayer to make such a choice.

I pray my readers, that we are willing to help our family and friends by showing compassion love and no judgement. It is not our place to judge and pry for the details of something that is very personal to each individual that goes through something so heartbreaking as divorce. Sometimes children are involved, and I believe that would make the choice 10 times harder and terrifying. So instead of placing blame from outside the situation, offer love and support. Be a relief to the individual, help them find joy and love. Be a shoulder to cry on. And by all means DO NOT help them by telling them how wonderful your spouse is in those tender moments. I believe we need respectful of what they are going through. And often pray about how to help them, and pray for them.

I know that every situation is different. I know that everyone handles things in a different way. Be mindful and comforting to those friends and family. Help them by loving them, whether they seem like the guilty or the innocent.

Dallin H. Oaks talks about this in the video below. I pray for anyone who may be suffering and going through this hard time. I pray that we can all be a lifter of souls, and lighten the burdens of our loved ones. Be as my mother has always said, "A light giver". Offer the comfort and solace that our Savior would. Help them to remember and know that Jesus Christ is there for them and is there to buoy them up and give them the peace and comfort. Love them.





1 comment:

  1. You give me far too much credit, my wise daughter....

    ReplyDelete