Sunday, March 18, 2012

Missionary

Today in church the Missionaries taught the lesson in Relief Society. They talked about a new focus they have been given by Elder Russell M. Nelson. To not only seek to teach people who are not members of the church, but also to teach those who have lost their way, or just do not feel the desire to go to church. It brought me back to a time when I myself was not an active member of the church, and how there were specific people in my life who helped me come back, so that I could partake of the blessings and keep the covenants I made at baptism. I will forever love and hold those people close to my heart.

It also made me wonder if I do enough? Am I a good example of what a daughter of God should be? Am I helping those around me to feel the spirit? Am I teaching my children to know and love their Heavenly Father and his Son Jesus Christ? I hope, and I know that I should try to do better also.

They say every member a missionary. That rang clearer to me today than ever before. Whether they are not members, or whether they are and do not have a testimony or desire, I need to make sure I reach out to them. You cannot always ask the questions that missionaries can. Sometimes you teach them by example, by showing them love and by following the spirit. Because if you have the desire to teach, the spirit will guide you and help you know how.

I have always regretted not going on a mission. It is something I had always wanted to do, and it is an opportunity my Father in Heaven gave to me, and I did not accept his plea to serve at that time in my life. I do look forward to the time when I can go with my husband to serve where the Lord needs us to. For those of you who are at the age to serve, and you are pondering whether to serve or not to serve? DO IT! It is something that will strengthen you, and teach you things you may not learn otherwise. And just think of all the lives you will touch. It will be worth it.

Listen the promptings of the spirit. Live your religion. Be a missionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment