Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Flecks of Gold

I remember someone telling my husband and I once about a family they knew that were members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. They told us how they had decided to stop going to church, because it was to time consuming and they had no time with each other as a family if they attended. I remember this person telling my husband and I that we should do the same. That way we could go skiing, boating and many other things with them and each other more often instead of attending church. My husband and I just smiled and said that we like attending church, and that we were going to continue to do so, and that we have a lot of opportunities granted us to spend time with out friends and family. They laughed at us, and mocked our decision. But we did not let that bother us. There are times when we look for things to instantly gratify us, things to make us instantly happy, because we don't want to work for the reward. There are times when we are asked to serve and accomplish tasks that are not always appealing or maybe repetitive, and at those moments we have a choice, a choice to murmur and mock those who ask or need our help, or we can choose to serve and complete the tasks we are given. My husband has been going to school for what seems like forever. There have been times when he has wanted to quit and just work. It seems like it would be so much easier. But he sticks with it, because he knows the reward will be great. It is the same thing when it comes to following the gospel and I wish I would have told that person who asked us to stop attending church this, "You went to school, your got your Bachelors and you Masters, and you feel it was worth it. That is why I continue to go to church, and follow the teachings of my Savior, because, I KNOW it will be worth it." Brothers and Sisters, Though sometimes we have little patience for the journey and tasks we are given. If we remain faithful and if enjoy the journey and appreciate the little blessings we are given, it will all be worth it, and our reward will be greater than we can even imagine.

This video reflects how I feel today. It shows that though we want the big reward now, we need to be patient and we have to work for it.






1 comment: