Friday, September 9, 2011

Those We Love Most


Today I have been thinking a lot.  Things have occurred that have made me reflect on the way we need to treat the people we love.  We all have false in this life, there is no way around it.  But do the ones we love need to remind us?  I have always felt that we should try to help others see the best in themselves.  Not point out the bad.  It is like my mother said to me when I was 15 yrs old, "If you look for the bad in people, you will ALWAYS find it.  So look for the GOOD in people, because we are all children of God."  And I have tried to live by that.  Have I found myself gossiping?  Yes.  Have I been negative?  Yes.  We all have at one time or another.  But if we are continually trying to be better I think that will be recognized by our Father in Heaven.

As I reflect on the things that have made my life better, it was never because someone pointed out what was wrong, it was because of something positive.  Now I recognize that there are times we need to be told we are wrong in order to make something right, but there are ways of saying these things that will not hurt the person.  But as humans we do not always have that filter from our brain to our mouth connected properly.  So it is something we have to be conscious of and continue to be aware of.

Before my husband and I got married, we had some arguments about my past.  There were things that worried my husband about how I was before, and how messy I was.  Most of the time he was kind and thoughtful about how he talked to me about these things, but there were a couple times when his filter was broken, and my feelings were hurt.  But one thing I never doubted was how much he loved me.  He always made that very clear.  And that my friends is IMPORTANT!  You should never make the people you love ever doubt that!  We all deserve to feel like we are being fought for.  Because being in a relationship where you are the only one fighting for the other, it is exhausting in many ways, physically, emotionally and spiritually.   So be willing to fight for the one you love most.

Saying SORRY and admitting when we are wrong, is always hard.  And I admit, I am not always good at it.  I do not like to be wrong, as no one does.  But if I reflect on the past I look back to a relationship where I was the only one fighting, and where I was the only one that ever said sorry.  It was a battle to get through everyday.  I felt like I was on a muddy road trying to pull myself to something better, but I could not see anything better in front of me.  And since I was the only one fighting and saying sorry, that relationship ended, and it ended bitterly.  It took me a long time to forgive the individual, but with time forgiveness is possible.  So when I met my husband, and we were at a crossroads, deciding whether or not we wanted to pursue a more serious relationship, or be friends.  I remember telling him that I wanted someone that would fight for me.  And what happened?  He did!  And it was refreshing and made our relationship stronger and made it easy to be in.  We still fight for one another, but it is not really a fight, because we just show each other and tell one another that we love each other.  We both are willing to admit we are wrong and say sorry when needed.  We show each other affection, and compliment one another.  Now we are not perfect, and we still have arguments.  But we get through them and we get over them.




Let us remember that our Savior fought for us.  He bled from every pore, and suffered the pains of all our sins, and then he sacrificed his life on the cross so that we could live again.  So that we could be forgiven of our sins that we make in this life.  He did this, because he loves us deeply and eternally.  So love those who are around you, show the people in your life that you love them unconditionally.  Show them that they are important.  Love one another. Fight for the one you love.  Because love is worth fighting for.

1 comment: