Monday, April 18, 2011

Unconditional love

Gerritt and I went out for a little while tonight.  We ended our night at Baskin Robins.  MMMMM.  A family of 4 sat to my left, and their teenage son was talking.  I looked at his mother and noticed how she was looking at him.  She looked at him with such love and such pride.  The look she had in her eyes is something that I can't really explain in words.  But it was beautiful to witness.

In the world today so many children are neglected and do not feel loved.  So tonight it was just so beautiful to see the unconditional love this mother had for her teenage son.  And it made me think of the love I have for my own children, and how like the picture above I find myself staring at them while they sleep, just praying for the world to be kind to them.  That I may be able to teach them to love others and to be kind, and that they will be able to be strong in this world.



While thinking about the unconditional love a parent has for their child, it made me think of how much our Savior loves our children.  How special they are to him.  The picture above just looks so sweet and touches me deep into my soul.  He loves our children.  I know as a mother that I feel a strong need to protect my children, and when someone hurts them, it breaks my heart and makes me want to take the pain away.  And I know that Jesus Christ feels that way about the children of this world.  Their innocence is taken away so early now days.  So many things that were private and sheilded from the public eye 20 years ago, are not anymore.  And I can only imagine how that makes our Heavenly Father and our Savior feel.  How it must make them sad for the damage the people of this world can cause our children.  That is why it is so important to have a strong family unit.  How important it is for our children to know that they have a mother and father that love them.  That they have a Heavenly Father, and a Savior that loves them.  And I think it is important to spend time with them, and let them know that we are always there for them.  Also let them know that they can always kneel in prayer and ask for comfort.  I have a picture in my girls rooms of Jesus with a child.  Each picture is different and is just for them.  I want them to always know who he is, and to love and learn to have faith in him.  I look back and I am so thankful that my own parents taught me to know and love my Savior Jesus Christ.  They taught me that I could always trust in him.  And how thankful I am for this.


As an adult, I think we find ourselves doubting many things in this world that we did not doubt when we were younger.  We have gone through trials, discouragement, sadness and many other emotions and hardships.  Life is not always easy, and I think it's sometimes harder for us to remember that we are not alone in this world.  Our Savior is always waiting with open arms.

 I recall a time in my life that was specifically hard.  I was in a dark and sinful place, and I felt so sad and ashamed.  I was in the bishops office, and I remember just crying as I spoke with my bishop.  My bishop was a very loving, Christ like and understanding man.  A man who truly was an example of Christ's Love.  After we talked for a while he asked if we could kneel in prayer, I agreed with a heavy and troubled heart.  We knelt  down and he began to pray.  He prayed for me.............for me, someone who was in such a troubled time of life.  I cannot explain the feelings I was having, but it was as if we were not the only 2 people in the room.  As he finished the prayer, I sat there on my knees with tears streaming down my cheeks.  And before I could open my eyes my bishop enveloped me in his arms and just held me.  I did not open my eyes, I just cried.  And it was as if it was my Savior holding me.  It was as if the room around me disappeared, and we were in a heavenly place.  I cannot explain this exactly, but I know it was not just my bishop.  This was a moment where my bishop was led by the spirit.  I can only explain it as if it was my Savior holding me, comforting me in my sorrow, letting me know that he had not forgotten me,  letting me know that I was not alone, and that he was there.  That I did not have to pay for my sins as long as I had faith and a repentant heart.  He was there with me in that moment, closer than I had ever felt him.  I am so thankful that my bishop followed the prompting he was given at that moment.  He was definitely in tune with the spirit that day.
So in the picture I posted above, I can truly say, that is how I felt it was that day.  A moment I will always be thankful for, and never forget.  I know my Savior loves me.  And his love for all of us is unconditional.

No comments:

Post a Comment